BOYANIKA AT A GLANCE
Odisha State Handloom Weavers Cooperative Society Ltd popularly known as Boyanika by its registered trade name has stepped into its 65th year in May’ 2021. It was registered in 1956 under Odisha Cooperative Societies Act 1961 with the objective of providing marketing support and quality raw materials to the Primary Weavers Cooperative Societies of the State for production of handwovens fabrics.
The organisation started with a turnover of Rs.0.65 lakh in the year 1956-57 with 5 regular staff on its roll. It had a steady growth overtime achieving a climax of turnover of Rs. 89.00 crore in 2020-21.
At present, the prime objectives of Boyanika are as follows:
- To organize and develop the Handloom Industries in Odisha and to create market for Odisha Handwovens in and outside the state.
- To prove sustainable livelihood of around 30,000 weavers and like no. of allied workers of the state indirectly by providing them the marketing support, technological intervention, design development support etc.
- To procure the handloom products of its member societies (PWCS), SHGs, Master Weavers & individual awardees weavers and to sale the same in and outside the state.
- Production of export oriented handloom fabrics to popularize and establish the Odisha Handwovens in international market.
- To organize National Handloom Expos, Special Handloom Expos and Buyer Seller Meet to provide common platform for the weavers of the State for marketing of Odisha Handwovens.
At present 607 nos. of PWCS across the state have been affiliated with Boyanika. It has 41 established sale branches i.e. 37 inside the state, One at Delhi, and three at Kolkata for marketing of Odisha Handwovens.